Wednesday, February 05, 2014

2014: The Future

I have crossed the threshold of the New Year, and the lifestyle experimentation continues! (Don't worry, you didn't miss much).

February's flavor is vegan - day 5 so far. No coincidence that the shortest month was chosen for the challenge I was most nervous about. With everything I have learned along the way regarding industry and nutrition, I couldn't put off the dairy/egg free attempt any longer. My hypothesis was that Paige - cheese = homicidal lunatic who cries herself to sleep. But I am almost a week clean of the hard stuff and have also managed to abstain from other forms of dairy: yogurt, sour cream, alfredo sauce, white mocha syrup, chocolate, crackers (check your labels, people!) and omgcreamcheese.

My personal vegan attempt does not exclude honey. Partially because I didn't even think about it being an animal byproduct until Feb 3 when I was eating a whole grain waffle drizzled in orange blossom honey. Partially because I'm not yet ready to take on the plight of farmed bees. Mostly because honey is delicious and I don't need any more guilt right now with what I have left to enjoy. Sue me.

Something I was not aware of was that several commercial breads and pastas are not made with eggs or dairy. After watching Gordon Ramsay crack an egg into all his homemade pasta I just assumed it was part and parcel of any noodle. But I'm not even herded to the natural foods section to find vegan grain products. Interestingly, this has resulted in me eating way more carbs than as a plain ol' vegetarian. I made penne primavera (delicious, but gave me that uncomfortably full feeling I haven't had since inadvertently not eating pasta for months), have had waffles for breakfast on a regular basis, and toast with bananas and natural peanut butter GALORE. I may have found the way to gain weight while eating vegan (Ritz peanut butter sandwiches contain no dairy, pass it on!)

PETA's website encourages people to a "strict adherence to veganism", but they take the high road and encourage purchasing mainstream products and brands that come darn close to vegan to show corporations there is a market and desire for foods using minimal animal involvement. PETA may have a radical reputation, but I like this way of thinking. Do what you can, and do it often. Vote with your dollar. I hope it will alleviate some of my guilt issues while not slipping back into ignorance.

But I'm gonna eat honey, dammit.

No comments:

Post a Comment