Friday, February 07, 2014

Cheeze Pleeze.

Yesterday marked my first voyage into the world of simulated cheese. I went with Daiya mozzarella shreds as countless vegan websites tout it as the blue ribbon of "cheeze". Cheddar looked bedder but I had plans of pizza. The recipe was:

-whole wheat pitas
-Daiya mozzarella shreds
-green peppers
-mushrooms
-red onion
-pizza sauce

1. Arrange all ingredients on the pita in a way that makes it look like a normal pizza
2. Place in pre-heated 400deg oven for 10-15min
3. Cut into triangle wedges resembling those of a normal pizza
4. Eat your almost normal pizza!


Many commercial pizza crusts are inadvertently vegan. However, I had these pitas on hand and they turned out so crispy and light that they were a highlight! The meal was satisfying but let's get one thing clear: fake cheese is not cheese. It can come very close, but that slight difference is the reason why the general population (myself included) will never be 100% converted. Kudos to Daiya for delivering on their promise of a melty, gooey, pizza cheese texture, but the flavor of it reminded me of margarine, and as you can see by the pictures, that would be a very margarine-y piece of toast. As much as I love an abundance of cheese on my normal pizza, a remake of this recipe would call for a little less Daiya and loaded up with more veggies.

But isn't that good news? The Daiya was essential for bringing together textures and flavors of the other ingredients for a complete pizza experience, but can be used sparingly which is lovely for wallet and waistline. These pies were 200cals each with only 2g of saturated fat. Only one was for me! And I was full afterward. 

..Well, my first vegan week is successfully complete. I don't feel deprived of normal meal options and I haven't been as moody or childishly jealous of normal meals being eaten around me as anticipated. I did, however, have a lengthy dream about drinking a 2L of chocolate milk last night. It was more memorable than the portion spent dreaming about fighting my way out of a forest like Rambo. Fortunately I had some organic chocolate soy milk in my real life fridge which alleviated my craving the next morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment