Sunday, February 09, 2014

Won't You Take Me to...Pizza Town?

The pizza train continues. I just love pizza. It's the most logical of foods, if you ask me, or even if you didn't. Savory, hot, textured, filling goodness on its own built in plate, with the capacity to hold all food groups, no matter what your dietary constrictions.

Last night Domino's pizza was ordered. Maybe not for the strictest of vegan diets. Supplies are made in a facility with traces of animal products, and dough may or may not contain an animal product as a conditioner (American websites said thin crust is free of this. I could not find the same evidence for the Canadian franchise, but the pizza had been ordered by that point).

The order was for a large pizza, no cheese, with onion, tomato, pineapple, jalapeno peppers, green peppers, black olives and mushrooms. My roommates agreed to the experiment, sparing me from ordering a whole pie to myself. With previous Domino's orders, I hadn't even been adventurous enough to order "light cheese". IT MIGHT NOT BE AS GOOD.  But last night I threw caution and $20 to the wind, and soon enough a man named Drogos, according to the online delivery tracker, was delivering our freak pizza.

(pizza eaten before picture could be inserted)

It. Was. Delicious. Just like with the homemade Daiya version, the complete pizza experience was had. The crust was crispy, the sauce (which has always been my favorite part) was tangy and hot, and the veggies still had that broiled divinity that I thought may only be achieved through a chemical reaction with mozzarella. Bite after bite, it felt and tasted like pizza and the cheese was barely missed! I'm sure WITH cheese, we would have been oohing and aahing over it just as much, but it was delightful to know that we could be satisfied with a hell of a lot less saturated fat, oiliness, and baby cow hormones. There was no paper towel dabbing to be had.

On a side note, I have been taking vegetarian B12 supplements. One per day when I can remember, but the chocolate soy milk I drink has been fortified as well.

Again, I'm only vegan for this month, but I still find this amusing (and accurate, from the flack I've gotten thus far).



No comments:

Post a Comment